How Overseas Students Become Permanent Australian Residents
June 19, 2008 by Mira
If one is successful in entering one of the prestigious Australian Universities, it is but natural that you start considering the possibility of residing in Australia permanently. People from every nook and corner of the globe are constantly trying to migrate into Australia. The country with its lavish dose of scenic beauty and a rapidly growing strong economy can undoubtedly be one of your best choices for permanent residency.
However, there are certain factors that you need to consider in order to gauge your eligibility levels. This will make the entire process hassle-free and help you further in leading this dream of permanent residency in Australia in the right direction.
The Commonwealth Government of Australia has laid certain pre-requisites that need to be fulfilled by international students before they can be granted permanent residency. No doubt the opportunities for overseas students to apply for permanent residence have been expanded to a great extent. To put these conditions in a nutshell, I have listed these conditions below:
1. It is mandatory that you complete a minimum of two years of full-time education – technical or non-technical - at any educational institution in Australia. It is only after completion of the course and possession of the degree or diploma that you can apply for permanent residency in Australia. In fact, if you have completed certain specific courses, you can even be considered for permanent residency without any previous work experience.
2. The applicant will have to go through the skills assessment test by the concerned Australian authority. This is vital in judging your capabilities and will determine if you satisfy the criteria of permanent resident.
3. The occupation intended after completion of your study must be listed in the SOL (Skilled Occupations List).
4. You must file your application within a period of six months of completion of your course. Else, your application might be treated as invalid.
5. If you have any unlawful records in your two year study period, you will not be in a position to apply for permanent residentcy.
6. The applicant must currently reside in Australia while the application is submitted.
7. The applicant must be less than 45 years of age.
If you do not fulfill the requirements of permanent visa immediately, you may request for a skilled Graduate Visa. This Visa gives you an additional time of 18 months to gear up your qualification for permanent residence (like gaining work experience etc).
Having the basic requirements of Australian permanent residency, I hope you now gear up your preparations and get ready to settle into the Australian way of life. Do not compromise in any manner while putting in all the required efforts that would turn your dream of a new life in Australia into a memorable reality.
I have given the above information so that you will be able to scrutinize your profile and determine your capabilities according to which you will be able to take the right decision.
Brought to you by the Australian Immigration Experts at Synch1